ShaderMap Version 3.x
What's New in ShaderMap 3
There are a number of new features in ShaderMap 3 - Major features include: Baking Maps from 3D models, a Map Filter System, a vastly improved Project Grid,
real displacement preview in the Material Visualizer, and a bunch of new maps. Below is a list of each new feature and bug fixes.
- Bugs Fixed
- Save maps to UNC Network Path was failing
- TGA image save of type RGBA_8 had an incorrect header value
- New OBJ 3D Model Importer - Replaced old OBJ model importer with a stable and fast loader based on the FBX SDK for OBJ models.
- Bugs Fixed
- 3D model loading from older (pre 3.0.6) projects causing a crash on load.
- Conversion of older (pre 3.0.6) project data failed in some cases to properly convert 3D model UV indices.
- XML Filename Override File - New XML file overriding default directories, filenames, and suffixes for batch naming and default projects.
See the section Filename Override XML for more details.
- Bugs Fixed
- Project Templates not saving Locked Source Map filepath in Project File.
- Source Template node removing Channel Mixer data on load Source from file.
- UV Channel Selection in Visualizer - Allow selection of Geo UV channel in Material Visualizer. Control is under the 3d preview window.
- UV Channel Selection for 3D Nodes - Allow selection of UV channel in 3D node properties. Controls for main and cage type models.
- Optimizations - Decrease ray casts when picking models in the Material Visualizer. Increased speed of tessellation algorithm using multi-threading.
- SDK Geo Import Changes - SDK 3D Import plugins can now import multiple UV channels to ShaderMap. The gp_create_render_geometry() and gp_create_node_geometry()
function parameters have changed to allow for this. See the SDK geo import examples.
- Bugs Fixed
- Memory Leak - Filter Dialog not released if open when app is closed.
- Project Grid model reload button sometimes disabled when should be enabled.
- Normal corruption/loss when importing some models into ShaderMap as nodes.
- Getting extra subsets in 3D Model Setup for scenes with multiple objects.
- Crash on toggle overlay in Normal Editor when template nodes are in the project.
- Bugs Fixed
- Critical Error when attempting to use Advanced Setup in Version 3.0.4.
- Fixed a memory leak in Feedback System.
- Auto Updater - Optional auto updating of ShaderMap. Requires internet connection and downloads happen in the background when they are made available.
- Usage Feedback - Optional feedback system reports usage of nodes, layers, tools, etc and is sent to Rendering Systems anonymously. This feature should help us know which features to improve as ShaderMap continues to grow. Internet connection is required.
- Project Templates - Can now save a project as a Template project file. All unlocked source nodes will be empty when the Template is loaded. The user can then load source nodes to complete the project.
- Start Screen Template Library - A new drop down control has been added to the Start screen. Project Templates saved in the folder "C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\ShaderMap\SM3\Libs\Template" will appear in the drop down control. Select a Template from the drop down list to load it.
- Option to Toggle Auto Update - New option to enable / disable Automatic Updates.
- Option to Toogle Usage Feedback - New option to enable / disable Usage Feedback reporting.
- Node Context Menu - Added Clone Model and Delete Model to the 3D Model node context menu.
- Delete Node Shortcut - Users can now delete a node simply by pressing the Del key.
- Smart Assign Node Inputs - When selecting inputs for new nodes ShaderMap will choose the most recently added matching input (if found) else will assign the most recently added node.
- Option to Choose Node Input Assignment - New option to choose from smart input assign or most recent input assign.
- Project Grid Swap Inputs - For maps with multiple inputs, the Project Grid interface now allows the easy swap of two inputs by dragging and dropping the input over another input.
- Bugs Fixed
- Error saving project to file with empty normal editor layer.
- Tile in material not being loaded correctly from project file.
- Save/Load paths not always remembered when setting up save path in maps.
- Additional error catching and reporting in project save/load archive functions.
- Memory Leak on drag replace source model.
- Memory Leak on drag replace cage model.
- Source Model Batching - Can now batch process maps for source models. Cage model batching is not yet supported.
- Improved Batch Saving - Only maps with save filepaths that are children of the source node are saved to file.
- Bake Alpha Channel from 3D Models - Maps that are created from 3D Models now have a property to allow the storing of alpha in the final map.
- Improved Normal Editor Layer Surface - Layer profiles that apply surface now maintain edges even when using large blur sizes.
- Major Improvement to Blur Quality - Fixed issue with boxed edges at large blur radius sizes, also optimized blur memory usage.
- Greatly Improved Map Edge Expansion - New algorithm is many-many times faster with far less memory requirements.
- Unique DEMO Support Feed - Demo users now have a seperate support feed loaded into the ShaderMap support UI.
- Bugs Fixed
- Resize Normal Editor shape crash - when null rect.
- Normal Editor crash on delete certain layer pixels.
- Memory leak on Normal Editor render layer profile.
- Memory leak on Normal Editor generate displacement normals.
- Forward Model to Material Visualizer - Users can now push send a Source Model to the Material Visualizer from the Project Grid by right clicking the Source Model.
- UDIM Support for Model Maps - Maps that use Source Models as input can now use a UDIM ID to generate the map for the offset UV coordinates.
- Option to use 127 or 128 as Zero in Normals - This option allows the user to force exported 8 bit Normal Maps to use 128 as zero instead of the default 127.
- Option to set Max U - This allows the user to define the maximum number of horizontal tiles in for UDIM enabled maps.
- Option to set UDIM Postfix - This allows the user to set the postfix format used by UDIM enabled maps.
- Bugs Fixed
- Linear Filtering was disabled for some textures in the Material Visualizer.
- Some file formats loaded as mask were being flipped vertically.
- Preserve Alpha, when disabled, had no affect on Albedo [Diff] map.
- Fixed UV coordinates on Cylinder default geometry.
- Pre Filters were not working on Normal Maps with non normal map inputs.
- High Precision Floating Point Maps - All image calculations are now done using high precision floating point values. This allows for HDR (linear color space) workflow and removes the Force 16 bit option.
- 16 / 32 Bit Image Load and Save - Added support for EXR and HDR 16/32 bit floating point load and save.
- 32 Bit Image Loading - Added support for loading 32 bit PSD and TIFF images.
- 3D Models as Source - Maps can now be generated from a 3D Model. Additional maps have been added to take advantage of this feature. See the New Maps section.
- Map Filter Stack - Each map node can now have a number of filters applied in a sortable stack. Filters can be applied pre and post map generation if the map has inputs. See the New Filters section.
- Tessellated Displacement Material - Replaced Parallax Mapping with a new Displacement Material. The material displaces vertices along their normals. Tessellation can now be applied to any model in the Material Visualizer.
- New Maps
- Albedo Map from Diffuse - Create an albedo map to be used in PBR. Control shadow and highlights as well as average luminosity.
- Ambient Occlusion from Displacement - A greatly improved method of generating Ambient Occlusion from displacement maps.
- World Space Normals from 3D Model - Generate world space normals from source model or using cage projection method.
- Tangent Space Normals from 3D Model - Generate tangent space normals using cage projection method.
- Displacement from 3D Model - Generate displacement map using cage projection method.
- Ambient Occlusion from 3D Model - Generate ambient occlusion maps from source model or using cage projection method.
- Curvature from 3D Model - Create Convex / Concave from the source model or using a cage projection method.
- New Map Filters
- Blur - Gaussian blur the map pixels.
- Threshold - Create white pixels where pixel luminance is above threshold.
- Flip - Invert the map vertically / horizontally.
- Exposure - Control pixel exposure.
- Normalize - Normalize pixel brightness between a given range.
- Brightness/Contrast - Control map brightness and contrast.
- Color Overlay - Overlay a color with a set opacity and blend mode.
- Color Balance - Adjust Red, Green, and Blue in the map.
- Black & White - Convert the map to grayscale using a selected weighting.
- Invert - Invert the map pixels around a given center line.
- Shadow/Highlight - Control the intensity of shadows and highlights.
- Normal Blur - Blur a normal map. Ensures normalization of vectors.
- Map Masks - Added optional image masks to all map plugins. Each map and filter plugin has the option to enable / disable and invert mask during processing.
- New Layout and Style - This includes solid backgrounds, resized controls, changes in placement of some controls.
- New Project Grid Control - This replaces the old Map Grid interface and is now compatible with 3D models. Additional buttons have been added to the Project Grid to allow adding and deleting of maps and models directly using the grid interface.
- Manually Set Project Grid Resolution - New controls to increase or decrease the number of node cells in the Project Grid.
- Drag / Replace Source Node - The user can now drag a source file (image or 3D Model) to an existing node in the project grid. The user is then given the option to replace the current node or add the file to the project.
- Persistant Normal Editor Layers - Layers created by the Normal Editor are not destroyed on Map Unlock state. This allows the user to make adjustments to the underlying map while retaining layer pixels.
- Delete Normal Editor Layers - Deletion of all Normal Editor Layers can be done in a node's Context Menu.
- Map Setup Page Removed - No longer need the Map Setup page as this is now done using the Project Grid control.
- Info Popup Dialogs - Each node has a new control to display an info popup that describes the node information.
- Drag and Clone - Clone a selected map by pressing SHIFT and dropping on empty grid cell.
- Delete Node Warning - A Messagebox warning appears when deleting a node (turn off in settings).
- Display Node Name or Source Path - Node name or Source file name are displayed in the node properties as well as in tooltips.
- Updated Map Context Menus - Added additional options to open Map Filter Stack, Clone Map, Delete Map, (also on context over map in Map Preview)
- Aligned Context MenusContext menus are now left or right aligned - option is in settings.
- Material Number System - A numbering system in the material setup now displays the corresponding map in the Project Grid.
- Channel Select on Mono Input Maps - Most maps that require a single channel map for input (such as displacement) now offer a channel selection control.
- Force Coordinates and Tile Mode - Forcing the Coordinate System and Tile Mode in the options now act as default initial values rather than forced throughout the workflow.
- New Normal Blend Modes - Added 4 additional blend modes to the Normal Blend Map. These modes are similar to the blend modes used in the Normal Editor.
- Add and Delete Materials - To match the new Project Grid interface the Material Grid now offers controls to add and delete materials directly in the control.
- Start Screen Changes - Added 3D Model option to default project setup. Also added previous files drop list.
- Simplified Batch Map Naming - Now use a numbering system if filename conflicts occur. This replaces the long file names used previously.
- Batch Map Save Locations - Batched maps now save to the directory in which the batch source images are located rather than the project source location.
- Last Save / Load in Project - Added the last save and load directories to the project file so they can be loaded with a project.
- Command Line XML Setup - A project can now be setup (maps, save paths, etc) by passing an XML file to the binary. This should help with users who would like to better integrate ShaderMap into their workflow tools.
- Bugs Fixed
- User mouse control was failing to update if pointer was off the window.
- Map Preview Zoom was being reset when a map render was interrupted.
- Per vertex tangents had errors causing slight artifacts in mesh rendering with normal maps.
- Specular Map brightness was not working for all 16 bit maps
- Displacement from Diffuse Map blending detail was fixed so lower values result in a darker image.
- Tool Tips when a dialog box is on top of controls the bottom tool tip still popped up.
- Normal intesity had too big of a jump between values 12-13 for certain sized images.
- Sometimes failed to recover the graphics device after another app goes fullscreen.
- OBJ import plugin now creates subsets from a material file if defined or by face group. Before was only creating by face group.